I recently realized how much I dislike the advice, “Follow your heart,” or, “Just do what you feel is right.” Sometimes, you don’t KNOW what your heart is saying or what is right.
And if you did, you would probably already know how to solve whatever your problem is.
Sometimes, I feel that life is more about decisions and outcomes rather than right and wrong. We can never know what would’ve happened if we made different choices, and we can never know what the outcome is going to be before we make a choice.
In the past few months, I’ve decided to stop waiting for my heart to make decisions, and I’ve decided to start DOING something. I’ve been setting goals rather than waiting for life to work itself out.
Here are some questions to help you start reaching your goals:
- What do you love? What are you passionate about? What do you enjoy spending your time doing?
- What goals would you like to accomplish with those things in the next year or even the next month?
- What can you do TODAY to start reaching that goal?
Looking at the big picture and then trying to set daily, weekly, and monthly goals is a great place to start.
OR if you’re like me and commitment scares you away from even the things you love, start with the daily goals and work your way up to larger ones.
Right now, I’m working on several short-term goals to help bring me to something more long-term.
Here are some of my March goals:
- Exercise every day in March for at least 30 minutes.
- Take pictures of something every day this month.
- Learn and record at least two new cover songs.
- Have a photoshoot with actual humans, paid or unpaid, once a week.
- Write down three things I’m thankful for every day.
See, it’s as simple as that!
What are you looking forward to in March?