I don’t know about you guys, but I’m list-obsessed. I also have a hard time doing things for myself sometimes because I feel like it’s not important enough. Recently, a friend told me about the ‘101 Things in 1001 Days’ list, and it’s perfect for my lifestyle. I make all kinds of lists everyday, and I HAVE to do whatever is on each list. This list is about self-care and personal progress, and since I wrote it down, I will accomplish it! It’s pretty simple. You write 101 things, and you have 1001 days to do all of those things. I’ve accomplished a few of the items, which are crossed off, and the bolded items are things I’m working on.
Feb. 2, 2018 – October 30, 2020
- Take photos every day for a month.
- Get film for and learn how to use at least 2 of my old cameras.
- Spend a month learning the basics of playing the accordion.
- Spend a month learning the basics of playing the banjo.
- Finish going to every state park in Iowa.
- Complete a non-fiction book.
- Go to a class/event about foraging.
- Visit Nashville.
- Visit at least two countries.
- Do a road trip of the southern United States.
- Try out new baking recipes once a week for a month.
- Try out new recipes once a week for a month.
- Write in a personal journal every day for a month.
- Invite someone to my home for dinner and conversation once a month for six months.
- Do yoga every day for a month.
- Write in a thankfulness journal (three things you’re grateful for) every day for a month.
Do a photoshoot unlike anything I’ve ever done.
(2-16-18, boudoir shoot)
- Spend a month learning more about photoshop/photography.
- Spend a month learning more about illustrator/design.
- Document each of the 101 things I do.
Send someone a care package just because.
(2-21-18, sent to a friend in law school)
- Brew a delicious beer.
- Plant a tree.
- Take pictures of everything I do every day for three days.
- Blog on my personal blog at least once a week for two months.
Start a new website project.(I started this blog!)
Watch 5 documentaries.
(Done 2-22 – One of Us, Jim and Andy, Flight of the Butterflies, Haunters, Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold)
- Go on a meditative retreat.
- Go to a church service at a new place.
- Visit a religious place that is not a church that I’ve never been to before.
Go 2 weeks without scrolling through social media.
- Make a logical camera equipment purchase.
- Host a Harry Potter marathon/party.
- Go to 5 concerts.
- Save $5 for every goal completed and do whatever you want with it at the end of the project.
- Say yes to everything for a day.
- Watch the sunrise and sunset in a day.
- Go to the Czech and Slovak museum in Cedar Rapids, IA.
- Learn how to cook a Czech meal.
- Learn to make hummus.
- Read at least 10 books.
- Go tubing on a river I haven’t been on before.
- Declutter my space.
- Go to a drive-in movie.
- Do physical activity for at least 30 minutes for 30 days in a row.
- Create a budget and stick to it for a month.
- Go to Duluth and see the Great Lakes.
- Get another tattoo.
- Don’t spend money for a week.
- Learn CPR.
- Learn a new word every day for a month.
- Dance in the rain.
- Dress up for Halloween.
- Make a new friend.
- Learn how to use a bow and arrow.
- Find at least 5 new foods to forage for in the area each year.
- Make a miniature fairy garden.
- Go without Netflix and Hulu (or any streaming service) for two weeks.
- Work on my Spanish.
- Make a playlist/CD of the ultimate happy road trip songs.
- Find and learn about at least one new band/artist every month.
- Don’t complain for a week.
- Watch all of the Star Wars movies.
- Go to every free museum in a 60 mile radius.
- Write a song that I actually like.
- Learn more about my sexual self.
- Get better at the trumpet.
- Watch a meteor shower.
- Go on a camping/hiking trip.
- Make at least three new medicines from foraged goods.
- Write a love letter.
Buy someone flowers just because.(Done 3-11-18)
- Visit a Buddhist monastery.
- Read part of the Quran.
- Read part of the Bible.
- Learn and memorize at least 20 cover songs.
- Go ice fishing.
- Watch a live sporting event that I usually would not watch.
- Go to an amusement park.
- Make someone a birthday cake.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter at least once a month for six months.
- Go kayaking at least once a week for a whole summer.
- Make a list of 25 things I love about myself and put it somewhere I can see it every day.
- Make large prints of some of my photos to have in my living space.
- Give everyone something homemade or non-material one Christmas.
- Have a day where all I do is watch movies I haven’t seen before.
- Let go of others’ expectations as much as I possibly can.
- Pay off my car.
- Visit my friend, Robin, in Chicago.
- Go for a walk every day for a week.
Write a letter to all of my friends who live far away.(Done 3-10-18)
- Go entirely without internet for three days.
- Stay with a family for a few days with a very different lifestyle/faith than my own.
- Figure out a plan to reduce my use of plastics.
- Create SOMETHING every single day for a month.
- Find more confidence in myself.
- Spend a day without looking in any mirrors.
- Host a Kentucky Derby party.
- Encourage someone else to make a 101 list.
- Do a random act of kindness every day for two weeks.
- Every chance I get, practice spontaneous LOVE.